Salvation is just part of God's plan for your life. God wants you:
• to know Him
"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God,
and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." -- John 17:3
• to have fellowship with Him
"God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with
His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord." -- 1 Corinthians 1:9
• to follow Him
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;" -- John 10:27
• to proclaim Him to others
“For I proclaim the name of the Lord; Ascribe greatness to our God!" -- Deuteronomy 32:3
Here is how to begin:
• Pray every day. Praying is more than us talking to God. Praying is having a conversation with God (it involves talking and listening). Begin by thanking Him, praising His Holy name, confessing and asking for forgiveness of your sins, praying for others (especially those who mistreat you), and asking God to give you wisdom; and then listen by reading and meditating on His word.
Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude
of thanksgiving; --Colossians 4:2
Be still and rest in the Lord; wait for Him and patiently lean
yourself upon Him; --Psalm 37:7a -amp
Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and
mighty [hidden] things, which you do not know.
• Read and meditate on scripture every day. God primarily talks to us through His word, The Bible. What God shows you in His word, begin to obey. God will lead you into a closer and closer relationship with Him. Remember, God is always up to revealing Himself to His children, increasing your faith, and giving you a testimony of His faithfulness.
Your word have I treasured in my heart, that I may not sin
against You. --Psalm 119:11
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have
sworn and I will confirm it, that I will keep Your righteous
ordinances. --Psalm 119:105
How blessed is the man who...delight is the law of the Lord, And in
His law he meditates day and night. He will be like a tree firmly planted
by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season and its leaf
does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers. --Psalm 1:1-3
This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but shall
meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do
according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way
prosperous, and then you will have success. --Joshua 1:8
• Believe the Bible. Believe God's word even when you don't understand it. And if you read something you don't understand, ask God to explain it, and He will--sometimes immediately or sometimes over a period of time. It is important to interpret scripture with scripture: Don't isolate a verse, don't take scripture out of context, filter what you read thru the entire Bible; Intepret scripture with scripture. Don't trust what you see with your eyes, what you hear with your ears, or what you feel inside more than you believe what God says in His word. And God is always working in your life that you might: Hear the truth, believe the truth, apply the truth to your life, and speak the truth to others. The key is this: believe!
But the seed in the good soil, these are the ones who have
heard the word in an honest and good heart, and hold fast,
and bear fruit with perseverance. --Luke 8:15
[Be] imitators of those who through faith and patience inherit
the promises [of God]. --Hebrews 6:12
And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.
What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what
you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops.
• Join a church, be baptized, worship, fellowship, and serve with other Christians in a church where Christ is preached and the Bible is the final authority.
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing
them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy
Spirit. --Matthew 28:19
"Not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit
of some, but encouraging one another; --Hebrews 10:25
• Tell others of your decision not only to believe Jesus but to follow Him.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of
God for salvation to everyone who believes... --Romans 1:16
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come
after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and
follow Me. For whoeveer wishes to save his life will lose it;
but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.
And Jesus said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you
become fishers of men." --Mark 1:17
Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing,
so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.